A healthier take on the classic Philly Cheese Steak with beef, mushrooms, and onions baked in a bell pepper shell and topped with mozzarella cheese.
Author: Wellness Mama
Recipe type: Main
- 1 Onion
- 2 Tablespoons Butter or Coconut Oil
- 8 ounces of Mozzarella Cheese (optional)
- 2 cups sliced button Mushrooms
- 4 Red, Yellow or Green Bell Peppers
- 1 pound of Nutriate Free Roast Beef (or ground beef or leftover steak or roast)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash peppers and cut in half lengthwise.
- Remove the seeds and dry for planting or discard.
- Heat the butter or coconut oil in a large skillet.
- Slice the onion and add to skillet.
- Saute about 5-8 minutes until starting to become translucent.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms and add to the pan. Saute another 5-8 minutes.
- Slice the roast beef into strips and add to pan. Cook another 2-3 minutes or until hot (assuming the meat is pre-cooked… if not, cook meat first until done).
- Place the peppers in a large baking dish, open side up. Spoon the meat/onion/mushroom mixture evenly into the bell peppers. Top each pepper with the cheese and bake for at least 20 minutes or until well cooked. Enjoy
Slow Cooker Ribs Ingredients
- 4 pounds of beef or pork ribs, cut every 3-4 ribs to fit in crock pot
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 15-ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce (make sure it’s grain free. I think Lea and Perrins is)
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke (or more, to taste)
- 1/4 cup honey or molasses (optional)- can also use a dash of stevia
- Dice the onion and place at the bottom of a crock pot (at least 6 quarts!)
- Sprinkle the garlic and chili powders, salt and pepper on the ribs an put them in the crock pot also.
- Mix the tomato sauce, tomato paste, vinegar, worcestershire, liquid smoke and sweetener if using and then pour evenly over the ribs.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-6 hours or until tender.
- Toss in sauce before serving.
Author: Wellness Mama
Recipe type: Main
- The meat:
- One 4-5 pound beef brisket… grass-fed if possible
- The Brine:
- 2 quarts of water
- 1 cup of sea salt (I use Himalayan sea salt)
- ½ cup raw can sugar or organic brown sugar (don’t worry, the residue sugars in the finished product are minimal)
- 1 stick of cinnamon or about ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon of mustard seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons of black peppercorns
- ½ tsp whole cloves (about 8-10 individual cloves)
- 1 tsp allspice berries (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp juniper berries (optional)
- ½ tsp dried ginger powder or about 1 tsp fresh minced ginger
- ½ tsp dried thyme leaf
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed or ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2-3 bay leaves, crushed
- ¼ cup beet juice or juice from homemade sauerkraut made with purple cabbage(optional)
- Put the water, salt, sugar and spices (except beet juice or sauerkraut juice) in a large pot and heat, stirring frequently, until sugar and salt dissolve. Cool liquid, using 2 cups of ice if needed, and place in fridge until very cold. It is very important that the brine is cold before it comes in contact with the meat.
- For the 3-5 day brining process, you can either place the brisket in a large, 2-gallon bag and add the brine, or place the brisket in a large glass container with a lid and add the brine. Either way, you want the brisket to be completely submerged and surrounded with the brine. Add the beet juice or sauerkraut juice (if using) at this point once everything is cooled.
- Place in the fridge (put inside another dish if you just use the plastic bag in case it leaks) and leave it there for at least 3 days and 5 if possible. Each day, flip it over and move the brine around. After 3-5 days, remove from the brine, rinse with cool water and cook as you normally would a corned beef brisket.
Healthy Mandarin Chicken
A delicious orange mandarin chicken that rivals the best restaurant versions.
Author: Wellness Mama
Recipe type: Main
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken thighs (or chicken breast but thighs are used in restaurant versions)
- 1 cup of coconut oil, tallow or lard for cooking
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon each of salt, pepper, garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 organic oranges (organic is important since you’ll use the zest and juice)
- 1 organic lemon (organic important!)
- ¼ cup naturally fermented soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce (optional but good)- You can also just add a teaspoon of garlic powder but the texture and flavor isn’t quite as good.
- ¼ cup honey (optional, adds sweetness and thickness)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- Cut chicken thighs into bite sized pieces with a sharp knife or kitchen shears. Mix the almond flour, arrowroot, salt, pepper, garlic powder and ginger in a bowl. Beat the egg with water in another bowl.[ Note:You can completely skip the flour and egg steps if you don't want to bread the chicken and can just stir fry the bite-sized pieces of chicken in 2 tablespoons coconut oil until cooked.]
- Heat the coconut oil, tallow or lard in a large skillet. Dip the chicken into the egg mixture, then into the flour mixture and shake to remove excess flour. Carefully drop the breaded chicken pieces into the hot oil, cooking about 3-5 minutes per side until cooked through. Do not stir or move chicken except to flip once during cooking as it can remove the breading. Carefully remove and place on a plate to cool. Repeat with all the chicken until cooked. (alternately, you can bread the chicken this way and place on a well oiled baking sheet or baking dish and bake at least 30 minutes or until cooked through in the oven).
- While chicken is cooking and cooling, zest the oranges and lemon into a medium sized pan. Squeeze the juice of the oranges and lemon into the pan and add the soy sauce/coconut aminos, chili garlic sauce and honey. Stir well and slowly add the tablespoon or arrowroot powder. Bring to a simmer and continue simmering over medium/low heat for 15-20 minutes or until desired thickness. Do not let boil or burn! If you want a thicker sauce, add a little more arrowroot.
- If you are serving with cauliflower rice (can use this one without the shrimp) or steamed broccoli, cook it while sauce is thickening. When all are done, pour the sauce over the chicken and lightly toss to incorporate.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/4 lbs.)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup Italian seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1 jar Bertolli® Alfredo Sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 4 ounces Sargento® Artisan Blends® Shredded Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. Dip chicken in egg, then bread crumbs combined with paprika, coating well. Arrange chicken in 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes. Evenly pour 1 cup Pasta Sauce over chicken, then top chicken with tomato and cheeses. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Garnish, if desired, with chopped fresh basil and ground black pepper. Serve with remaining sauce, heated, and, if desired, hot cooked pasta.
Baked Chicken Alfredo
Roasted Brussels SproutsThe dreaded vegetable of childhood can be feared no longer! This delicious recipe will convert even the most adamant opponent of Brussels Sprouts!Author: Wellness MamaRecipe type: SideCuisine: VegetableServes: 8-10Ingredients
- - 1.5-2 lbs of fresh Brussels Sprouts
- -4 pieces of thick cut bacon
- -1/4 cup tallow, ghee or olive oil (tallow or ghee preferred because it cooks at a high temp)
- - 1 teaspoon of Himalayan Salt or Sea Salt
- - ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- - ½ teaspoon garlic powder or garlic granules
Broccoli Cole SlawAuthor: Wellness MamaRecipe type: SideCuisine: AmericanServes: 6-8Ingredients
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut stems off Brussels Sprouts and remove and wilted leaves then cut in half.
- Toss them with the tallow, ghee or oil (heat tallow a little first to make liquid) and spread on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic.
- Put in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, flip Brussels sprouts.
- Chop bacon into small pieces and sprinkle over the Brussels Sprouts on the baking sheet.
- Bake an additional 20-25 minutes until Brussels Sprouts are starting to brown and bacon is crisp.
- 1 large package broccoli cole slaw mix (or 4-5 big sliced thinly)
- 2-3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- (1 large head or cabbage, shredded, can be used instead of broccoli)
- 1 cup full-fat organic plain yogurt (or plain Greek style)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp honey (optional)
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil, parsley and celery seed, to taste
Lightened Up Green Bean Casserole with Shallot Crumb Topping
- Whisk all sauce ingredients together, adjust to taste.
- Pour over shredded broccoli or cabbage and toss well.
- Store in fridge at least 1 hour or overnight before serving.
Adapted from Williams Sonoma
For the topping:
- 2 lbs green beans, cut in half, trimmed and washed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup shallots, finely diced
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme (or 1 tsp fresh)
For the green beans:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup shallots, minced
- 16 oz sliced mushrooms, (I used cremini)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken stock (or vegetable for vegetarian)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Boil a large pot of water, when boiling add green beans and blanch for 2 minutes (or 6-8 minutes if you like them softer).Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water to stop them from cooking.Meanwhile make the topping, heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until golden brown. Reduce heat to medium-low, add breadcrumbs, grated cheese and thyme; sauté until golden brown, about 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently, careful not to burn.Preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté 1 to 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and sauté 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms, stir constantly for about a minute, then slowly add chicken stock, then milk. Bring to a low boil, and cook stirring occasionally until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in Romano cheese.
Add blanched green beens and mix well, season with salt and pepper as needed; pour into prepared baking dish.Top with toasted bread crumbs and bake about 30 minutes.
Two cups of flour
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of sugar (can add more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 stick of butter, cold (8 tablespoons)
3/4 cup of buttermilk, cream or half-and-half
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Mix all the dry ingredients together.
Cut the stick of butter into pieces, and work into the flour mixture with your hands or a pastry blender until it resembles pea-sized crumbs.
Add the liquid, mixing until a bit loose and sticky.
Pour dough out on a floured surface, and knead for a minute. Dough should be smooth and no longer wet. You can sprinkle more flour on the surface if you find it’s sticking.
Take dough into a ball, and hit it with a rolling pin, turning it and folding it in half every few whacks. Do this for a couple of minutes.
Roll out dough until it’s 1/4 of an inch thick, and then fold it in half.
Using a round cutter (can use a glass or a cup if don’t have a biscuit cutter) cut out your biscuits from folded dough.
Place on a greased baking sheet close together (so they rise up not out), and bake for 15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
Makes 10-12 biscuits.
If you don’t want to roll and cut them out, after kneading and beating the dough you can drop the dough onto the baking sheet with a spoon. They’re not as symmetrical (dropped biscuits are also known as cat head biscuits) but they’re no less delicious.
CHOCOLATE CHIP CHEESECAKE:
Serves: 15 Cooking Time: 45 min
What You'll Need:
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 (16.5-ounce) rolls refrigerator chocolate chip cookie dough
What To Do:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese, eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract until well mixed; set aside.
3) Slice cookie dough rolls into 1/4-inch slices. Arrange slices from one roll on bottom of a greased 9- x 13-inch baking dish; press together so there are no holes in dough. Spoon cream cheese mixture evenly over dough; top with remaining slices of cookie dough.
4) Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden and center is slightly firm.
5) Remove from oven, let cool, then refrigerate. Cut into slices when well chilled.
TIP: Keep cookie dough refrigerated until just before slicing. You can serve the cheesecake plain, with chocolate sauce, with fudge or whipped topping...whatever's your favorite.
Cream Cheese Delight
2 pkg 8 oz. ea. cream cheese, softened
1 c granulated sugar
1 lg egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 can(s) 8 oz. ea. pillsbury refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1 c chopped pecans
1/2 c packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp melted butter
2 tsp ground cinnamon
garnish: powdered sugar, optional
1. Preheat oven to 375^. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add egg yolk and vanilla; beat on low speed until blended.
2. Unroll 1 can of dough into a large rectangle; press seams and perforations to seal. Press onto bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch glass baking dish. Spread with cream cheese mixture.
3. In a small bowl, mix pecans, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon. Sprinkle 1/2 the mixture over cheese layer. Repeat with the remaining dough and place over filling. Sprinkle the remaining nut mixture over top.
4. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly on cooling rack. sprinkle with powdered sugar, Cover and refrigerate leftovers.